Thursday, January 25, 2007

Words - III

The ineluctable immediacy of the transient on the one hand and the inveterate ineffability of the eternal on the other - these are our essential concerns. Do we feed the starving child with the bread that our wallet buys out of the cornershop or do we teach him to fish and fend for himself? Do we succumb to the moment? Does it matter?

A woman was carrying her infant and a jungle of beads and trinkets, trying to interest a hundred tired, devout pilgrims to buy her child his breakfast milk. Car after car, person after person, could but ignore the steady stream of jabbering piteousness she could manage. The object was clear, and the price, but there is a hauteur in man that allows for kindness only in a known tongue. Besides the beads and trinkets were just as unpalatable as the woman and her child. But she wouldn't take charity - she was not begging. Would it hurt to take something from her and throw it away later? Lower the windows and ignore her!

Things can be kept simple - we all want everything simple; we do not like the effort that is demanded of us. Maybe it is a sign of the times when we hold the world in a grain of sand and spend an eternity in an hour that we cannot see heaven in a wild flower; maybe it is all the inherited fatigue of a thousand years of drudgery; maybe it is just wisdom. Forgive me, O lord, I know not what I do.

5 comments:

Sindhuja Parthasarathy said...

there is something about this "about me" part thats got me thinking.........

there is something very beautiful about the...

btw,i liked all that u have written(rather whatever i got to read).

madatadam said...

hey, thanks for stopping by.. i like my "about me" too :)

Siva said...

very nicely written. I stop by occasionally just for the simple reason that I need to refer to the dictionary atleast 3 times before I can understand ur vocabulary..

And I did go thro' something along the similar lines of this entry, during my India trip last dec.

madatadam said...

hey siva thanks for the encouragement

as for the language, it is because "Kaattril aeri malaiyil aadi kavithai paadum paravai naan!" :-)

let us hope experiences such as the one i talk about here become fewer as we learn to eliminate the original cause behind such pathetic stories - poverty.

Siva said...

I did work towards it for about 2 yrs during my schooling at UC. Inspired by a non profit org called AID (www.aidindia.org), worked for some development projects and held some fundraisers. Havent got myself to it the past year for which I have nothing/none to blame but myself..