Monday, August 07, 2006

A Study in Shakespeare

Shall I call thee fair but surely 'tis a lie
For treats't me thou fair maiden most unfair;
Nor could I call thee apple of mine eye
For absent art thou therefrom through foul and fair.
Or if names name thee false what of my eyes
That see nor beauty nor grace to applaud?
Or my ears that hear no music sweet thy lies?
Or my mind that cannot thy golden image defraud?
Or maybe thou mov'st not in so bleak my ken
But in stronger hearts I see not thy heavenly trace;
Or if thou shouldst feel thyself beyond all men
I see no Gods fight ov'r thy angel-face.
And if thou shouldst think that I love thee yet
Let Love be called blind and I thy forsaken pet.

--Shyam.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.. I thought it was by Shakespeare himself until I saw your name!

And.. "forsaken pet" sounds contemporary but :( ..

Have you read "Kashtanka" by Chekov?

So who is the dark lady? ;)

Anonymous said...

Comment after a second reading..

ababcdcdefefgg.. :D

Shakespearean indeed!

madatadam said...

pet is shady i know but i wanted to get a rhyme fast.. and still and love where the other things i considered initially both of which did not give me any shakespearean conclusion.. as for the dark lady she has to remain in the dark until she reveals herself ;)..

havent read kashtanka but just read the summary - seems like an interesting story.. though kashtanka doesnt seem a forsaken pet :)

Anonymous said...

Kashtanka is a lost pet.. and her past seems to show that she has not been treated so well. I often identify with little Kashtanka. She is my most favourite character in all of Chekov.

..and come on! ;) Maybe the dark lady is in the dark to us but surely not to you.. :p Jus kidding..

As for the "pet" I understand rhyme is the reason.. :)

Anonymous said...

This is surely an excellent exercise in the vividity of rhetoric which you can swing at a jade or perhaps a pedant amongst women, who has known one and who one might have loved only to forfeit her, and perhaps to later realize that one should deserve better than one got. I have to congratulate you on the language you have used, and also on the wordplay which combines reason and rhyme with the choices which you spell out in those last lines - "Let love be called blind and I thy forsaken pet." That line is either bitter or incredibly romantic.