Monday, August 07, 2006

hmm.. life.. hmm..

I am getting used to life. Slowly. To cars passing outside my window in the narrow stretch of road that I can see between McDonald's and the Hacienda. To the cars that queue up below my window to order drive-throughs from McD's. To the Waste Management people coming at 4-5 in the morning and making a ruckus just beyond the fence that I can see below my window. To the morning light glaring at me at 11 in the morning and doing what the alarm I set in my cellphone couldn't do - wake me up. To checking mail every now and then and browsing through cricinfo, soccernet, atptennis, espn, cnn and an assortment of news sites. To reading the blogposts of a few friends and commenting on them sometimes. To orkutting ceaselessly, well, not really, but still spending enough time on it checking on the profiles and scrapbooks of lots of people I have no idea about. To having a bowl of cereals at 1-2 in the afternoon for breakfast and then lunch at 3-4 - rice and dhal and curd or maybe a sandwich or two. To the occassional games on my gamecube and the documentaries on History. To going to school late in the afternoon and holding conference calls with my advisor, discussing my research. To coming back early in the evening and calling up people to play football(soccer ye tainted by the greenback!). To getting back late in the night and cooling down with a glass of gatorade or cold water. To eating dinner often after 12 in the night and sometimes at 3-4 in the morning. To sleeping late in the night/early in the morning after a couple more hours of browsing. And then the next day again. I am getting used to life. Slowly.

10 comments:

mekie said...

Funny!

madatadam said...

and i thot i was just living the normal grad student's life!

nice try said...

i think youll feel more complete with dilbert, foxtrot, phdcomics added to that list

The Regular Joe said...

There appears to be no scent of women in your life

madatadam said...

phdcomics r there da once in a while.. calvin and hobbes and very rarely dilbert r there too.. and thanks for the foxtrot tip - its wonderful

and joe, as for the scent of a woman in my life i am resigned to knowing i am no al pacino

Anonymous said...

Why you talk as if you've woken up from a coma of seventeen and a half years!!!

madatadam said...

ermm.. slightly longer than that phoenix..

Siva said...

dude, you have summarized an atypical grad student life.. though during my grad years 2001-2005, I never heard of orkut or blog. (good in a way I didnt get addicted to them) :-)

madatadam said...

hey siva, i donno how atypical this is as many of my friends seem to live the same kind of life.. i guess we r the outcasts then :-)

Siva said...

a little lost here.. "many of my friends seem to live the same kind of life" - u mean they dont live this lifestyle or u mean they do?