Monday, July 04, 2005

Cold, Dead: Winter

Death comes swirling in fairy forms
And dark white bright masses swamp the sun.
No light, no life, all hard and cold, stone and snow:
No heart hers that sold mine to the howling winds.
The passing cars splash slush; nothing moves
Except to wound, to smart, to shiver its rusted bones.

Rugged barks, naked, drooping in the withering storm,
Stand monuments to despair; and I learn to freeze
What she wove into my dreams with her cruel charms.
Dead, dying, ready to die, I bear my coffin in my heart.

(I warmed her eye and fed her heart
And she let me bask in her summer love.
But now all is cold and dead, where is she?)

--Shyam.

3 comments:

madatadam said...

hey rajesh, thanks for the comment.

the whole series is about missing the woman/life/world i love(d) through 4 seasons(eternity). i start thinking about her and my mood and the things i see reflect the season. so i am thirsting for her in summer, remember the colours in the fallen leaves of her memory in fall, and am all dead and cold and depressed in winter. so the first stanza here is about a mechanical(metallic) life that has lost its meaning even as snow(fairy forms, beautiful but cold like memories of her) falls over hardened stone(my heart) accompanied by howling winds(restless thoughts of her) etc. all is cold, hard, dead and all is contrast too as dark white bright things(snow and slush/also muddied but bright visions/thoughts of her) obscure the light of clear sun(reason). i am basically going mad as winter and i know it.

the second is about my intellectual response to the knowledge of my disintegration. and yea its about keeping her in my heart(or rather mind). innuendoes abound as there is also a carnal vein throughout of the man missing the woman. freeze - does it remind you of cold ice or a photograph? was it all dreams? dead, dying, ready to die, i am all 3 in sequence, and, in consequence, i am carrying my coffin(thoughts of her preserved from the slush around) etc etc in my heart. basically a double, triple theming with life, the world and love, physical, intellectual and emotional all tripping around merrily as the seasons progress.

the third stanza is a paranthetical conclusion. love is given full rein and a large-scale whining takes place. the surface finishes off the poem with a remembrance and lament while the undertone is raw, crude and better left below the surface.

overall a complex of emotions, ideas and silly thoughts of a love/life/world lost; Love of course the main theme and what bounces off the page every line.

arethusa said...

No words really...beautiful...is all I can say!

madatadam said...

@shy thanks :-)