Thursday, June 16, 2005

Too Many Books ....

So what happened is arethusa, you know, tagged me, and here I am, all tagged and confused. I have to say something about books and all that you know. And I like books and, really, a lot of books too. And they also like me you know. And so, here you see, these are some things I want to say about

1. Books I own:
Books are Absolutely Indispensable. I could almost say I have lived more of my time with books than with people. And so I have a few books though the library and the net have always been the prime sources for my reading material. This is the list of books that I cherish most among the ones I own:
Ulysses & Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - Joyce, The Portable Nietzsche, Dialogues of Plato, Complete Poems of Donne, Complete Works of Shakespeare, The Rubaiyat, The Portable Milton, The Stranger by Camus, Moby Dick and The Bhagavad Gita.

2. Books I recently bought:
I keep buying books on and off. When the eBay bug bites me usually. In the last month or two, these are the books I bought: The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson and The Tragedies of Shakespeare.

3. Books I am reading now:
Books for light reading I finish off quickly and in that section I am reading 'India Wins Freedom' by Maulana Azad and Jane Eyre. Some books I read slowly, and in this section I am reading 'A Kierkegaard Anthology', Buber's 'I and Thou', some Schopenhauer, assorted stuff on Indian History and some Aristotle. There are a few books, however, that I read and re-read often and again, sometimes in parts and sometimes in the whole. In this section are Joyce, Milton, Donne, Shakespeare, the Gita and Cioran.

4. My Favorites:
This should take a long time. I usually read as much for the author as for the book. So most favs will be authors rather than books.

Literature: Joyce - The Dubliners and The Portrait are by themselves guarantee to fame and the 2 most unreadably bold wonderful books ever are also his. Ulysses, my all-time fav. Shakespeare- enough has been said about him. Dostoevsky - Haunting. And Beautiful. Hardy, Dickens - Beautiful. And Haunting. Huxley, Orwell - Nice. Sometimes Daunting. Rushdie, Marquez - Magical. Realism. India. Latin America. Hot! Also for poetry, Donne, the Sufis, Dickinson, the Romantics, some Browning, TS Eliot and some snatches from the moderns. Others - Pride&Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, much of Scott and Wodehouse - fun and perennial favs for lighter reading.

Fantasy/Sci-Fi: Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time turns! Tolkien - He didnt write only LOTR! Douglas Adams - In Parts. Asimov - Theres too much I havent read but really good. AC Clarke - Of Course.

Philosophy: Plato - kickstarting Science and Philosophy as we know it, and open and sublime as we don't know how(with the eternal crowd-puller The Gadfly). Hume - No miracles here! Kant - Just cant read him. Schopenhauer - For the sheer weight of his studied Pessimism. Kierkegaard - Positive Religious Existentialism - I am searching too for "an idea that I could live and die for". Nietzsche- no one writes more lyrical philospohy - not even his mentor Plato. Cioran- Worthy successor to Nietzsche. I can just see the little blue light at the end of the tunnel too.(Plus he was insomniac when young :-)). Russell - Philiosophy for the layman. Math and Logic for the Scientist. And Literature for the Nobel Committee. Camus, Sartre - Lit/Phil - take ur pick. But they should be going out of fashion now, no?!. Every now and then, pick up Epictetus or Marcus Aurelius or the Gita for comfort.

I am sure I have missed a few but thats the way it is. And of course, I tag Cue, Sudheer and Varath to post on their fav books etc.

8 comments:

arethusa said...

Wow! What a list! I wish I'd read at least a quarter as much as you've.
My local library is seriously limited..Darn!

Vetty Max said...

Thalaiva...me bows.

meghjanmi said...

shyam,u have confirmed my opinion of u by the books u read..
a man is known by the company he keeps..let's modify it to..a person is known by the books he prefers....
kalvi kalayaan padippariyaan vaazhga nee needuzhi..

madatadam said...

@Shy
be happy u dont have a sodabutti :-)
@K7
i thot u were the thalai... me only vaal attufy :P..
@Malu
thanq... and i hope it wasnt a bad opinion i confirmed :-)...

ioiio said...

io..thats a long list! Gotto take a couple of breaks in between

madatadam said...

@ioiio
just cant shut my mouth once i start :-)

madatadam said...

@tech
nice to meet another bibliophile with leanings towards phil. am enjoying visiting ur philramble blogpage often. and ur book-tag post reminded me of some writers i love but missed out mentioning.
anyways, first, hey im "madatadam" not "madamtadam"... there goes all my supposed ingenuity down the drain :-)
joyce - u must be referring to the dubliners. its not any collection of short stories but a very particular collection with significance in the sequence etc. lots of reviews abound in the web. u really shud read the whole set in order and also reviews and criticism - its wonderful. and then the portrait of the artist and u'll love him by the time u feel ready to touch ulysses. and though i like rajaji & his ramayana & mahabharatha, i dint mean his transliteration of Aurelius' Meditations but the Meditations of the Roman monarch himself(in translation of course though i believe i'll tackle him in the original soon)

existentialism is honest in my opinion and of the various flavors, i prefer the empirical atheistic/ agnostic version. Russell is admirable but even Christianity starts and ends with the Logos - he tends to over-emphasize certain things in my opinion. Have read half the Tractatus but find that influenced too much by the Vienna Circle and the logical positivists though he left them behind. He is great of course. Hume is GOD. And Kant i agree bores anybody - am trying to read the Kritik now :) Nietzsche is colourful and went insane => ego plays a big part in his work but when he is clear hes also sharp as the crystal his writing is like... Plato has it all in him... and yeah Shakespeare rocks...
this comment is becoming as long as my post :)... but hope we have more fruitful discussions later...

madatadam said...

german i know a smattering of and wouldnt presume to read Kant with that :-)... and yea Wittgenstein is great! ive wanted to read heidegger too but no time so to say... hope u r having a good time...